Thursday, May 7, 2009

What's in a Name


When hearing about my trip, people often ask what brought me to my decision? How I decided to sell everything and hit the road. Though the final decision was made in April of ’07, it was a culmination of many small things that had brought me to that point.

I don’t always have a clear answer for people, and I haven’t figured it all out for myself yet, but I do think about it often, “what brought me here?” There are things I know, and things I hope to figure out later. One small, but significant influence that I have thought a lot about lately was one of my all time favorite movies. Because I am writing this entry in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, the movie is of course Shawshank Redemption.

In the movie Zihuatanejo takes on an almost mythical quality, and becomes a code word for freedom. I take it as a minor victory that I am here, if in symbolism only.

In the movie, Tim Robbins' character, Andy, is in prison for a crime he did not commit – it’s where he finds himself. During the course of the movie, he decides to take control of his life and destiny and give himself a second chance. It would have been easy for him to stay and follow orders, but it wasn’t for him – he didn’t belong there. So, he breaks free and sets out to live the life he wants, a much freer life.

Now, I am not comparing my previous life to a prison sentence, but I did feel like I was “doing time” often enough. I found myself living on a repetitive 30-day billing cycle, with a daily routine that would go on until I stopped it - no one else was going to. I do not yet know where my “Zihuatanejo” will be, but I am sure it’s out there somewhere.

I you haven’t watched the movie in awhile, it’s worth renting again.

1 comment:

  1. You know, that movie was an interesting experience for me too. I went to it knowing nothing about it. Through the whole movie I kept thinking, "I know this story. I know what is going to happen." When I came out I looked at the poster and down at the bottom was the "based on a short story by Steven King, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption".

    I had read the book in my teenage years. I was so thankful because I was disturbed through the whole movie by an overwhelming sense of deja vue that I couldn't place.

    I've since seen it many times and you are right it is worth renting again. : )

    Vidette

    ReplyDelete