Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Holidays from Down Below







Once again, my pen has failed to keep pace with my throttle. I promise to fill in the gaps after Christmas, but for now, a quick update.

I find myself near the bottom of South America, a stone's throw from my goal of reaching Ushuaia, however I am here with a blown front shock. I limped into Punta Arenas, on the shores of the Straights of Megallen, as the oil was steadily exiting due to a blown seal (again, with the leaking oil). I will have to remain in the area until I can figure out a temporary solution. Ultimately, the shock will have to be rebuilt in either Buenos Aires or Santiago. Patagonia is simply too expensive, and too windy to stay while the shock is being shipped up and back - and in the middle of the holiday season, it could take awhile.

For the past few weeks now I have zigzagging my way around Patagonia. First, crossing over from the Chile side to the warmer Atlantic coast then crossing back over to the mountainous eastern side of Argentina once further south. From sandy beach to icy glacier. Whales to armadillos. Although windy, I have been blessed with excellent weather for most of the ride. The prime season for Patagonia is January and February, but December is still spring time here and the flowers are in bloom along with many of the animals showing off their new offspring. I have been fortunate to have seen so many animals, in water and out.

Thankfully, I was able to time my arrival in Punta Arenas to coincide with my friend Kristin's vacation. I met Kristin in Guatemala and we have kept in touch ever since. When I learned that she would be down here for the holidays, I made haste. Now, with the bike locked and covered, we will spend Christmas aboard the Austral Bloom ferry, which for 38-hours will make its way down the Straights of Megallen, through the fjords of Tierra del Fuego and finally docking in Port Williams, Chile. We will then take a Zodiac taxi to Ushuaia, Argentina. Not exactly the way I was imagining myself arriving at my continental destination, but I do plan on returning later with the bike.

I will be sure to include a recap, with photos, once I return to deal with the bike. It has been an amazing year for me, and I have really enjoyed sharing it with you all. I hope you will be spending the Holidays with friends and family, and wish you all a wonder filled 2010!

Happy Holidays,
Mike



Other stuff:
-my blog can now be reached simply at: mikesglobaladventure.com. Thanks David!

-all of my current photos can be viewed at my photo gallery.

-please check out the video, Going Nomad, by renowned moto-documentarian, Peckhammer. This is part one of a seven part series. The interview of me was filmed before I left Seattle.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike,

    Part three is posted, and I'm starting on part four this weekend. You're an inspiration to get out and experience the world. Feliz Navidad mi amigo!

    ReplyDelete